2.03.2012

Sausage and Potato (and Spinach) Soup

I've been planning to make this soup for a couple of weeks.  The minute I saw it posted over at Our Best Bites I knew it was in my future.  It sounded relatively healthy, particularly for a creamy soup, and it had a bunch of my favorite things in it.  Plus, it was soup, for which i am a sucker.

Adapted from Our Best Bites (who adapted from Cooking Light)
Ingredients
1 package sundried tomato chicken sausage (Trader Joes)
7 cloves of garlic, minced
Chicken Broth (1 box~ 4 cups)
3 red potatoes, chopped
italian seasonings to taste 
2 cups milk
3 oz light cream cheese
3 tbl flour
2 tbl butter
1 bag of baby spinach

Methods
Step 1....  Remove the chicken sausage from the casings and brown in the bottom of stockpot.  Add minced garlic


Step 2... Add stock and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and Italian seasonings and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Note... because I'm me, I was out of Italian seasoning blend so i just threw in unknown quantities of basil, oregano, rosemary, and extra garlic.  I love cooking. 


Step 3... Meanwhile, mix the milk, cream cheese,and flour in the blender.  Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and add the milk mix, stiring and heating until it thickened into a pudding/heavy cream type substance.  Weird, yes, I know. (Note: excuses to use kitchen implements make me happy)


Step 4... Add the faux cream to the soup, serve to the meat eater, add the spinach, and serve to the vegetarian wannabe.


Thoughts...
I enjoyed this.  Comments at OBB mentioned how this was similar to a soup at Olive Garden.  Wouldn't know since I always get the salad :)  It was really good.  Although, I sort of screwed up... I sort of halved the receipe... but then didn't cut back the faux cream mix.  Oops.  It wasn't that thick or souper creamy when I did it, so no problem.  In my opinion... It would probably be fine without the faux cream, you could just smash some of the potatoes into the broth for thickness.  But, I'm a brothy soups sort of girl.

FH seemed to enjoy it as well, depsite his dislike of potatoes cooked in this manner.  He salted, peppered, and cheesed and enjoyed (someone, i just don't put a lot of salt into most things... salt and pepper to taste pretty much means add some pepper and add salt if really desperate to me)  He grabbed fresh bread from breadworks downtown, and that really capped the meal off.  Yum.  It reheated well and made me happy tonight :)

Somehow, despite my total love of soups, this was the first one I made for him?!?!?  I'm guessing it has to do with me using a lot of produce in my soups.  We'll be fixing that error.

Finally....  last random comment...  I think this would convert really well to a crock pot - just cook the meat in advance, put the meat, stock, potatoes, and seasoning in the crock pot in the morning.  At night, you would jsut need to add the faux cream (if using it) and spinach and serve.

ETA:  The pics look greasy, but this really wasn't that greasy.  it just had the little bit of butter in the faux cream and then a little oil that i used to brown the chicken.  It definitely didn't taste greasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment