6.18.2013

Chickpea and Tomato Summer Salad

Lets be honest, I have a love affair with beans. It started when I was single and it was me and the baked beans. We were pretty monogamous. Then I got a little older and had some flirty times with the refried beans at Mexican restaurants. Since my vegetarian lent, well lets just say I'm a full on bean slut. I haven't really had a bean I didn't like. 

When it comes to chickpeas though, they always make me think of my mom. Her palate is a little more constrained than mine, however out I the blue when I was in high school she piled some garbanzo beans on her salad and announced that she had always lied them. I had never seen her eat them before that, but they are her bean of choice. So when I was out searching the interweb for recipes and came across this Chickpea and Tomato Salad on Eat Yourself Skinny, I knew I had to give it a try. 

I was able to use cherry tomatoes from the farmers market and basil out of our garden, making this super fresh and delicious. Winning:  Keys - fast, easy, fresh, healthy, tastes.  I enjoyed the combination of the different vinegars and the addition if honey for a smidge of sweetness. I see this being repeated agin this summer, possibly while mom is visiting.  

Ingredients:  
1 large container farmers market tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained. 
1 handful fresh garden basil
1 tbl red wine vinegar
1 tbl apple cider vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1/2. Tbl honey
Salt to taste

Directions 
I started with quartering the tomatoes lengthwise and added them to a bowl with the chickpeas. 

I chopped up the basil fairly finely, and added the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Mix and allow to sit for a while to mellow the ingredients. 


No comments:

Post a Comment