1.16.2012

Blueberry-Banana Baked Oatmeal

I took advantage of the extra weekend day over MLK weekend to make myself a fun and fancy breakfast for the week.  I had seen the recipe for Blueberry-Bannana Baked Oatmeal over at skinnytaste a few days ago when she posted it.  I've been thinking about it ever since then, so this seemed the perfect day to go for it.  I didn't exactly follow her recipe, but modified it with a few substitutaions based on all the things I forgot to pick up from Giant Eagle and my general disinterest in all things measured. 

Ingredients
2 bananas
the better part of a pint of blueberries
brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup old fashioned oats
fat free milk
1 egg
vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

What I did....

-Preheat oven to 375.

-Spray a 9x9 pan with canola oil

-I sliced the bananas and put them on the bottom of the pan.  Covered the banana goodness with about half the blueberries and covered the fruit with about 1 tsp of cinamon and about 1 tsp of brown sugar (I had no honey at home, oops).  I added a little water (like 1 tbl) and baked for about 15 minutes
-I mixed up the oats, 1 tsp of the cinnamon, baking powder, a handful of pecan pieces, and a dash of salt in one bowl.  In another bowl I mixed up 1 cup milk, 1 egg, about 1/2 to 1 tsp brown sugar, and vanilla extract. 

- After the fruit came out I spread the oats over the top and covered evenly with the liquids.  It seemed like a little more liquid was needed so I added some extra milk (the liquid didn't cover the oats and since I was using regular oats instead of quick cook I thought extra liquid would be needed).  Then i topped with more blueberries and pecans and baked for about 30 minutes. 

I ate this warm.  It was delish.  I love bananas and blueberries, but often am too lazy to eat them.  However, this was a great way to get them into my meal along with some good oaty fiber.  I plan to slice the rest up and microwave them in the morning for breakfast this week.  I would call it a win and be interested in trying with apples and cranberries. 
.

2 comments:

  1. please have the apples and cranberries version ready to go on 3/23!

    ReplyDelete
  2. roger that. will be yummy :)

    ReplyDelete