1.20.2012

Chicken and White Bean Enchilladas

It is supposed to be a cold and snowy night in Pittsburgh.  I had a long day at work, and something delicious was on the menu.  You know I love some Mexican, and this was no let down.  I pretty much followed the skinnytaste.com recipe to the T.. except those things I sort of forgot at the store.

Filling
Olive Oil
~1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 can chopped green chilis
1 can white beans (great northern) drained and rinsed
1-2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
abt 1.5 cups water
chicken soup base
1 tsp cumin

Sauce
1 tbl  of butter/oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tbl flour
1 cup chicken broth
2 jalapenos, minced
1/2 cup light sour cream

tortillas
cheese

1. Start with oil, onion, an garlic.  Cook to soften. Add remaining filling ingredients and simmer to thicken sauce (~15 minutes).  



2.  Soften onions in butter/oil.  Add flour, stirring to prevent burning (~1 min).  whisk in water to fully mix. Cook about 5 minutes to thicken.  Stir in chopped jalepenos and cook for a minute.  Remove from heat an stir in sourc ream. 



3. Pour a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan.  Take filling and fill tortillas and lay seam side down.  I had large tortillas, so I could only fit 5 in the pan. Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes and enjoy some ooy gooey yum.



Verdict:  Win.  I really did only eat 1, which was fine for me since it was a little on the late side for dinner.  The tortillas were my favorite super tortillas (whole grain, high fiber).  Add in the beans and chicken and there wasn't need for much more than one.  I did want to eat more because it was so darn good.  It wasn't hot at all since i de-seeded the peppers.  I would add the canned chilis to the sauce, I just had forgotten to get two cans during last weeks shopping trip. 

Definitely repeatable.  I think the human garbage can might even eat this.

No comments:

Post a Comment