5.19.2013

Honey Sesame Chicken

I've been trying to expand our culinary horizons lately.  Last summer I introduced David to Sriracha sauce. It was love at first sight. Lately I've been feeling a little Asian, so I was quite interested in this Honey Sesame Crock Pot Chicken from skinnytaste.com; however, I was not digging the four hours in the crockpot.  Hello, I work outside my home, 4 hours isn't going to work for us.  I refuse to use frozen chicken breasts directly into the crock pot to extend the cook time the way people suggested in the comments - that is just asking for a bacterial disaster that I don't want to induce.  So I changed this up a little based on our likes and dislikes and this is what we ate.  it was a definite win as far as dinner go.  We ate the shredded chicken with pasta - I used orzo to simulate the brown rice that I was really jonesing. I added broccoli slaw to mine with a side of fresh pineapple.  We both really liked this one and I've since made it again.  It had a slight sweetness from the honey, and the Sriracha gives it kick, but its a kick that you don't taste initially.

I even enjoyed the leftovers the next day.  In order to make it a little easier, I've thought about chopping up the chicken prior to cooking and serving the chicken pieces over pasta/rice with plenty of yummy sauce.  I used tomato paste the first time, but didn't feel it was lacking when I didn't have any in the house the second time.  This makes 3 good sized servings for David and I given the typical chicken breast size.

Ingredients:
pepper to taste
2 boneless chicken breasts
3 tbl honey
2 tbl soy sauce
1 tbl tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1.5 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 tbl rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbl cornstarch

Instructions:
Mix the honey, soy, tomato paste, garlic, Sriracha, vinegar, about half a cup of water, and sesame oil in a small bowl.

Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a small dutch oven or pot. Pepper to taste and cover with the honey-soy-sesame mix.  Cover tightly and cook on the lowest setting for about an hour.  Check periodically and add water as needed.  Remove the chicken from the dutch oven and shred.  Meanwhile add cornstartch to the pot and mix well.  Keep on low and cook until thickened slightly.  Return chicken to the dutch oven and mix well.  Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment