12.02.2013

Bacon and Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts. I remember thinking they were ok when we had them when I was younger, not really liking them, not really disliking them. They were a huge treat for my mom - not exactly something you could force on a meat lover and three kids. She delighted in getting the steam in a bag kind with a butter sauce on special occasions. 

Last year I really discovered how much I love Brussels sprouts. My go to became shredded Brussels sprouts sautéed with a little garlic and pancetta. Launched it was thanksgiving I decided to raise the taste bar and drop the health bar :). 

Ingredients
4 slices of bacon, coarsely chopped
1/2 -1 lb of Brussels sprouts
Balsamic vinegar 

Methods
1. Start cooking the bacon in an oven proof pan. More surface area is better here

2. While the bacon is cooking, prep the sprouts - wash them, rtmove anything undesirable, and cut in half lengthwise. 

3. When the bacon is mostly cooked remove most of the bacon grease from your pan, leaving some drippings for roasting. Add the bacon and Brussels sprouts to the pan, cooking on medium for about 5 minutes. 

4. Here is where it gets fun. Add a splash or three of balsamic vinegar - probably a couple of tablespoons worth - enough to really get the good bits off of the pan  toss to coat and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400F. I like to use the big pan because it allows me to place the sprouts cut side down for maximum roasting at this point. 


Time to get done delicious roasting going on. 

Final product:

Verdict - Seriously amazing. 3 simple ingredients - who would have thought they could taste so good?  I actually followed slightly different directions, starting out bacon and sprouts together. Because of that I wound up roasting way too long. Even mushy these were amazing. I can't imagine how tasty they will be when they are firm and crunchy with that balsamic carnelization!  Even mushy they got an A rating from my FIL at dinner. Add in a good excuse to use the fancy wedding pans -  what more could a girl want? 




No comments:

Post a Comment