12.01.2013

Pumpkin Sones

I remember the first time I even heard of a scone. I was in high school, on a plane to Europe. I had my scone, thought it seemed such a fancy treat, and didn't think about them again for a decade until I discovered owners pasterirs. They always have seemed so exotic - something a regular girl like me could never make on her own. Most of my baking history has been cookies and cakes. However, I'm a sucker for what I believe to be a challenge.   So when I saw one of my favorite food blogs, Our Best Bites, published a pumpkin scone recipe I marked it for Thanksgiving. So Wednesday night since everyone else was traveling rather than going to the Saloon I started my baking!

Ingredients
~Scones~
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbl baking powder
3 tbl brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkn pie spice
1-2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbl COLD butter
1/4 cup milk
1 tbl vanilla extract
1 egg
2/3 cup canned pumpkin

~Glaze~
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp maple extract or pure maple sugar
2 tbl milk

Methods
Start with combining the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamonin a bowl, mixing well.  



Cut the butter into the bowl and break the butter up into small pieces (I did this by hand), making sure not to over mix the butter.  Chunks are good!



Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix the milk, vanilla, egg, and pumpkin.  

Add the wet to the dry and mix to combine.  I had to add a little extra flour to mine.  Next, dust your work surface with a little extra flour.  Pat the dough into a round, approximately 1 in. thick.  Cut (i used a pizza cutter) into 6-8 pieces.  Seperate them brush with milk and bake for 12-15 minutes at 350F until the scones pass the toothpick test.






Meanwhile, mix glaze and drizzle over the scones as they cool.



So i'm going to admit -- the original recipe called for cream.  But let's be honest, I barely keep milk in the house. Cream is beyond pushing it.  Even without the cream these were awesome.  I ate them for several days, warming them up for a few minutes in the oven and adding butter for consumption of the yum.  David wasn't too impressed, but he had just brushed his teeth.  The only thing I would do differently is I would use the entire glaze rather than only using some.  The glaze did get into the crannies, just like OBB suggested it would.  It gave the exta little bit of sweetness that made these shine.  Now that the guantlet is thrown, I have big plans for more scones this Christmas!  I know my sister is excited.

Daisy was really excited by my cooking, hoping I would drop some pumpkin her way.  I plead the 5th.  


No comments:

Post a Comment