1.11.2014

Couscous with tomatoes, greens, and chick peas

In 2010 I went vegetarian for Lent. It was difficult, but fun.  Difficult - I lived in the south where yu can justifiably ask which vegetables are vegetarian. Fun - I really explored some new foods and continued to expand my culinary horizons. Living with a carnivore, I sometimes miss the days when I would do a Meatless Monday. Earlier this week David went to the Pitt game with our friend Jamie. I took the opportunity to expand my horizons to include the trendiness that is kale. I originally intended to do a quick kale minestrone that my cousin shared with me last year, but whe making the store list  there i wound up playing follow the links and funding the New York Times recipe that this is based on. I loved it. It was awesome both warm and cold. If I didn't have a backlog of vegetarian recipes to try I would totally do this again. Heck, maybe I still will.  I have one more serving frozen away for a lunchtime treat in a couple of weeks. It will enter my rotation!

Ingredients
1/2 cup couscous
1 tsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch ref pepper flakes
14 oz can diced tomatoes 
Pinch of sugar
1 cup chick peas
Greens
St and pepper to taste 

Methods
1. Start by cooking the couscous   
2. Cook the minced garlic and red pepper flakes in the oil for a few minutes until fragrant. 
3. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar to the pan. Bring to a boil and summer for a few minutes. 
4 meanwhile bringing water to a boil.  Balance kale for approx 3-5 min. Remove, dry, and chop kale. 
5. Stir the kale, tomatoes, and brand together and hear to warm. 
6. Combine sauce and couscous and enjoy!  



Note:  I used about 2 cups of of kale and added some spinach that needs using 


No comments:

Post a Comment