1.29.2014

Salami potato frittata

Last year my parents picked up a subscription to Food Network Magazine for us for Christmas. I always enjoy flipping through the new issues, and occasionally I even make something out of the issue. The January-February issue had a Salami and Swiss Chard Frittata that inspired me, so it went on the future dinners list. I've been looking forward to making this one for a couple of weeks now. 



2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 tbl olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
Red pepper flakes to taste
Italian herb mix to taste
1/4 lb good salami, chopped
2 eggs
10 egg whites
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
2 tbl shredded Parmesan

I started out with slicing the potatoes and boiled them for about 10 min. Meanwhile I took the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and italian seasoning and heated them on low in an oven proof pan to soften the garlic. 



Combine the cooked potatoes, chopped salami, the herb mix, and the mozzarella in a bowl. I combined the eggs and egg whites - combine and beat lightly. Add the eggs to the filling and place in the oven proof pan. Top with the Parmesan cheese. 

Heat the frittata on the stovetop for about 3 minutes until the edges are set. Move into the oven and bake at 400F for about 15 minutes. I finished it off under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese. 



David had never even heard of a frittata, let alone eaten one. Now that I eat eggs, I am all about them. This one turned out pretty well;however, next time I would cube the potatoes and cut the salami thick and cube it. The potatoes were a little over cooked, but otherwise tasty. Looking forward to leftovers for lunch later this week and our next frittata!  David has thrown the gauntlet for a buffalo chicken frittata, pretty sure I can do that. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment