1.03.2010

Recipe 1: Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:
~ 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
~ 1 can rotel
~ 1 can corn, drained and rinsed (or frozen corn)
~ shredded chicken
~ chicken stock

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in your crockpot and cook on low until heated through. Once heated I took the imersion blender to it. You get a nice sort of purple-y soup!

Verdict:
Pretty good. We never ate beans growing up excepd canned baked beans. Since moving to the south and attempting to 'health up' I've developed a love relationship with beans. This was nice and easy, which is key - and full of that great soluble fiber. I always enjoy a recipe where I get to use my imersion blender. It doesn't look so pretty in the picture - sort of vomitish... It isn't quite so heinous looking in person. If you don't immerse it won't look nearly so heinous either.

If you aren't being calorie conservative I would reccomend enjoying this with some cheese, maybe a little sour cream, and some tortilla chips. It could also be made vegetarian by doubling up the bean content. Mmmm!

Next time I make this I plan to cut down on the broth and just smash some of the beans for thickening. I would have enjoyed the texture of the chicken vs. the corn vs. the tomatoes vs. the beans even if it meant not using the imersion. It had too much broth, so that it wouldn't thicken with a little bit of smashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment