1.27.2010

Recipe 8: Falafel Pitas with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

I didn't get my traditional Lebanese meal while in DC earlier this month, so I decided to try my hand at some semi-healthy falafel. This is based on a recipe published in Cooking Light. (Thanks for reminding me how I like that magazine MB!).

Materials
~ 1/4 cup minced red onion
~ 1 tsp ground cumin
~ 1/2 tsp paprika
~ 1/4 tsp black pepper
~ 1/8 tsp salt
~ 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
~ 1/4 cup bread crumbs
~ egg substitute equivalent to about 2 eggs
~ olive oil
~ wheat pitas
~ spinach
~ cucumber
~ 1/4 cup red onion
~ 1 tsp lemon juice
Methods
1/ Mix first 9 ingredients in food processor and process. Form into four patties. Heat about 1.5 tbl of oil to medium-high in a nonstick pan. Pan fry four about 4 minutes per side.

2/ Meanwhile mix chopped, peeled cucumber, 1/4 cup minced red onion, yogurt, and lemon juice in a small bowl.

3/Combine sauce, falafel patty, and spinach in 1/2 of a pita pocket.

Veridict
This turned out OK, but was nothing to write home about. I felt like it was a little bland. I also think that I over processed it to the point that the beans were too broken down. I would recommend not overprocessing and using torn bread instead of breadcrumbs. However, I probably won't make this again but will rather try a similar recipe in the hopes of finding a super yummy falafel for at home.
I ate the falafel with spinach and tomatoes with some of the extra cucumber yogurt sauce. The yogurt sauce is similar to one that I often make for with my salmon. I brought a little something filling with my roasted greek potatoes - just potatoes, canola oil, lemon, and oregano. The sides were more yummy than the falafel -- that says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment